Wine Tasting Events Terms and Conditions
West Mount Wine specialises in developing and running bespoke events to meet your requirements exactly. Therefore, we would like to understand and discuss your objectives for an event before suggesting appropriate options.
We recommend that you contact us to outline your requirements - we will work with you to select the right event. Check out our event options for some examples of previous events.
When your order has been placed, we will send you a detailed specification of the event along with the detailed booking terms and conditions.
On occasion we run scheduled events open to the public. It is possible to book these events by browsing the event in the shop and adding the required event into your shopping cart. After you have finished your selection, click on 'Checkout' and you will be asked for a few details that we need to be able to complete the order.
After you have placed your order, we will send you a confirmation e-mail setting out the details of the event.
The fee for an event is based on the number of people attending.
For scheduled events, the full price of the ticket is payable, via the website or phone, at the time of booking.
For bespoke events, a deposit of 25% of the full event fee is payable at the time of booking, based on the proposed numbers at this time.
At least 10 days before the event, we will agree the final number of participants with you, the 'Agreed Numbers'. The price for the event will be based on the Agreed Numbers. If fewer than 10 participants are expected to attend the event, the Agreed Numbers will be 10.
If a lower number of participants than the Agreed Numbers attend the actual event, the event fee will be based on Agreed Numbers.
If the same or greater numbers of participants than the Agreed Numbers attend, the event fee will be based on the actual number of participants attending. Any additional fees will be due before the event commences.
Whilst reasonable efforts will be made to accommodate last minute increases in the number of participants (i.e. within 10 working days of the event date), the availability of wine and the size of the venue may necessitate limiting the numbers, varying the proposed wine samples or reducing the sample sizes.
Full payment for the bespoke event is due 10 working days before the event date.
We are happy to accept payment by Visa, Mastercard and Maestro cards, cheques or bank transfer. We only accept payment in Pounds Sterling.
The fee charged for an event or education course is for the professional services of the event Host.
We provide appropriate glassware and tasting accessories (e.g. spittoons, "blind tasting" bags).
West Mount Wine will be happy to take orders at the event for wines tasted or other wines available on our list. If you wish to provide additional wine for consumption at your event, please contact us at least 30 working days in advance of the event to enable us to apply for an event licence if required.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
You may cancel your event at any time by contacting West Mount Wine.
For scheduled events, a full refund will be made if the booking is cancelled more than 15 working days before the event. If the place is cancelled less than 15 working days before the event, we regret that no refund can be made unless it is possible to reallocate your booking to another customer.
For bespoke events:
If we have agreed to provide you with a venue for your event, there may be additional fees based on changes imposed by the venue. Your booking details will outline these charges.
- If the event is cancelled more than 20 working days in advance of the event date, a full refund of the deposit will be made, minus a £25 administration fee;
- If the event is cancelled less than 20 working days and more than 10 working days in advance, the deposit will not be refunded, but no further fees will be payable; or
- If the event is cancelled less than 10 working days in advance, the full event fee becomes payable, based on the proposed number of attendees.
In the unlikely event that West Mount Wine has to cancel the event, we will provide you with a full refund of any fees paid. We cannot be responsible for any loss incurred by you as a result of West Mount Wine cancelling an event.
Equipment and breakages
West Mount wine will provide appropriate glassware and tasting accessories (e.g. spittoons, "blind tasting" bags).
Any breakages or losses of equipment will be charged for at the rate of £5 per tasting glass, £15 per spittoon and at retail cost plus any postage and packing and a £5 administration charge for all other items.
For the event to run smoothly, we have found that a bit of advanced preparation works wonders. Therefore, to enable the event organiser to be clear about what needs to be done in advance, the client is responsible for:
- Unless agreed otherwise, the provision of an appropriate venue to comfortably accommodate the number of people attending - seating layout is not that critical, but it would be helpful to allow enough space for participants to have at least six wine glasses on a table in front of them. Likewise, good lighting in the room allows for easier sight evaluation of samples.;
- confirming details of the venue, start time and client contact at the event to West Mount Wine at least 10 working days in advance of the event;
- informing West Mount Wine of the number of participants attending at least 10 working days in advance of the event ("the Agreed Numbers");
- gaining the venue owner, manager and/ or designated premises supervisor's permission in writing to sample externally sourced wines if the venue is a public or licensed venue, i.e. hotel, restaurant, club, etc.; and
- ensuring all participants are over the legal age to purchase alcohol; currently 18 in the UK
All West Mount Wine tasting events are non-smoking. This is equally applicable to events held in private homes or public venues. The venue is a workplace for our hosts and therefore falls within our health and safety obligations. Also, tobbaco has a very stong flavour and smell and will therefore overpower many wines and make successful tasting impossible
Guests are of course welcome to smoke (where permitted) in designated smoking areas in public venues and outside the room where the tasting is being held in private homes. If guests insist on smoking in the tasting room during an event, we regret that we cannot proceed with the event and no refund will be due.
West Mount Wine is committed to promoting responsible drinking through its retail operations and on all of its wine and spirit events.
The UK Government advises that men drink no more than three to four units a day and women no more than two to three. In some situations, such as pregnancy, it is better to drink less or not at all.
For more information, see